Hot not X buns16th April 2017
- 25 g Fresh Yeast
- 75 g caster sugar
- 300-350 mL full fat milk warm
- 450 g Strong flour Canadian strong flour
- 75 g Unsalted Butter room temperature
- 2 Free Range eggs or better organic large eggs
- 80 g Sultanas
- 50 g Dried Apricots unsulphured and chopped
- 1/4 tsp. Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. Ground Cardamon
- 1 tsp. Sea Salt
- Dissolve the fresh yeast with 1 tablespoon of caster sugar and 2 tablespoons of milk, cover and leave until doubled and bubbly. Put the flour, salt, caster sugar in a mixing bowl. Make a well and add eggs, butter, milk, spices and yeast mixture. Mix with the dough hook slow for 5 minutes and then at medium speed another 5 minutes until glossy and gluten have developed. If using add your dried fruits and work them in. Now cover with cling film and let rise for 60 - 90 minutes. It should be risen double in size. The ideal temperature of the dough should be 28° C.
- Put the dough on your work surface and cut off pieces of 70g each. Shape into round rolls and place them apart on a tray covered with baking parchment. Cover with a tea towel and let proof - final fermentation.
- Pre-heat the oven to 220°C. Carefully brush the buns with egg wash and bake for 5 minutes. Then lower temperature to 200°C and bake for another 10 - 15 minutes until golden brown. Best eaten warm but still delicious the next day reheated or toasted.
If using dried yeast the formula is 1:3 so for 25g fresh yeast use 8g dried yeast. One sachet with 7g will do.