Here we go again.........another recipe for Hot X Buns.
I know you can buy them anywhere and very cheap with great test results but still - home made is BETTER and you know there are no additives hidden.
So get your kids in the kitchen and bake them yourself. Honestly you will love first of all the smell in your house and then eating them - equally good warmed up in the oven the next day.
The recipe will give you 25 buns if weight 80g unbaked dough. I added cranberries to half of the dough.
- 500 mL full fat milk
- 100 mL Water
- 2 tsp. Ground Cardamon
- 150 g Unsalted Butter
- 2 Free Range eggs
- 900 g Organic Strong wheat flour I used stroneground from Stoates Farm
- 100 g Stoneground Wholemeal Spelt flour Stoates again
- 5 g Sea Salt
- 30 g Fresh Yeast 7g dry yeast
- 120 g caster sugar
- 2 tsp. Ground Cinnamon or more if wanted
- 150 g Dried Cranberries
- g Zest of 2 organic oranges
- Put milk, water, cardamon, butter and eggs in a saucepan over very low heat to warm. Please do not boil! It should only have 30 degrees C and the butter does not need to be melted completely. In a mixer with a dough hook put the flours, salt, caster sugar, orange zest and crumble in if using fresh yeast. On the slow setting add the wet ingredients. Mix for 8 - 10 minutes at medium speed until you have a shiny and smooth dough. Let prove for approximately an hour until doubled in size.
- Take your dough out on a floured work surface. Now is the time to fold in your dry fruits if using. Divide into 80g pieces and form rolls. Put on a lined baking tray and cover with a tea towel for another prove - about 50 minutes depending on the temperature in your room. Preheat the oven to 190 degrees C Mix 60g flour and 50g water and put in a piping bag to add crosses on your buns before they go in the oven. After 10 minutes lower the temperature to 180 degrees C and bake for another 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
- For that fantastic shine you can make a glaze of 180g sugar, 100 g water, some cardamon and vanilla. Boil and reduce a little to a syrup consistency. Brush your buns straight when they come out of the oven. Be aware of sticky fingers when eating!!!
Please see Instagram highlights for further instructions.