The Austrian’s and Bavarian’s (district south of Germany) are quite simply mad about Topfen=Quark. It is a much healthier version compared to cream cheese and gives a much lighter texture. There are so many dishes involving quark and this recipe is going to be start to my never ending collection of sweet and savoury recipes.
Eventually more supermarkets stock quark in 200-250g tubs plain or with added flavour. I would recommend using the plain quark from Golden Acre which is authentic Bavarian. This recipe is the favorite of my daughter which she can gobble down for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Baked Cheesecake with Quark
Short crust pastry - pate sablee
- 300 g Plain Flour
- 200 g Unsalted Butter
- 100 g Icing Sugar
- 1 Egg Yolk save the egg white for the mousse
- 1 tsp. Vanilla essence or Vanilla sugar
- 1 grated zest of unwaxed lemon
- pinch of salt
- Line a round cake tin of 26cm or 24cm diameter with parchment paper including the sides. Dot some butter around that the paper sticks to it. While baking the mousse will rise very high but goes down when cooling. So you need at least 10cm height. Preheat the electric oven to 200 degrees C.
- Make a pastry with all listed ingredients until you have a smooth dough, put it in cling film and rest for 30 minutes in the fridge. If your dough is not too warm you can straight roll out to 3-4mm thickness and fill your round baking tin of 26cm diameter. Roll a sausage and fill all around the edge. You will have some left over dough to use for short crust biscuits or keep in freezer for another tart.
- For the quark mousse put the quark, sour cream, egg yolk, 125g caster sugar, corn flour, milk, zest of lemon, salt and vanilla in a bowl and mix until smooth. In another bowl mix egg whites with rest of caster sugar to a creamy meringue and carefully mix under the quark mousse. Fill on top of your cooled pastry, level and put in the oven. When there has been a crust formed on the top reduce the oven temperature to 160 degrees C and finish baking until golden and baked through.